Sunday 19 August 2012

Gucci's Great Gatsby

 Thought I'd round off this unexpected sultry summer season with my DIY ode to Gucci's roaringly fabulous 20s-style dresses, specifically one worn by a slew of A-listers. including Taylor Swift and Zooey Deschanel.







You will need

7m of 10cm wide gold upholstery fringing, mine came to £20.93 from mnj-trimmings (2133) on Ebay

1m of 30cm wide black fringing, which would come to £7.40 if you bought it from seller anthony1547 (60515) on Ebay

 3m of 15cm wide black fringing which would come to £11.40 if you bought it from seller anthony1547 (60515) on Ebay

 3m of 2.5cm wide black fringing which would come to £6.30 if you bought it from seller anthony1547 (60515) on Ebay

 Scissors, ideally of the badass tailoring variety (Any lucky Londoners reading this should check out William Gee near Shoreditch)  because of the sharpness and length – in this instance, I’m afraid it’s more about size than how well you use them, simply because the larger said size is the easier the latter should be – sorry!

 Glue gun

 Knee length black dress (a little black one will do – you can’t beat the classics!)

 Gold or metallic gel pen for sketching out lines

Difficulty


Medium-easy

Fiddly in places but smile of you like a bit of cut, stick ‘n’ colour!

Total cost

 £46, which just covers the fringing, so near enough the original predicted budget. I used an old dress. Also, you’ll need to stock up on sticks for your glue gun because, boy, you’re going to need them! Costings were the reason I gave this entry a late seasonal entrance and while I knew the budget would be a big ‘un, I can validly say, don’t let it put you off!

…Oh, and also, I think the original comes within the region of £9000 so my sartorial solution’s a drop in the ocean by comparison, to say the least. Besides, the original’s officially sold out online meaning it’s not an option anyway – so there!


Time

Uhhhhh, a lot! If I’m honest that was another drawback. I mostly worked on dress in fits and starts around my work schedule so  it’s really hard to say. Maybe within the region of 10 hours.


Three simple steps to a roaringly good 20s look













1 comment: