Sunday 12 October 2014

Train in tweed - how to upcycle trainers in the style of Chanel


Revamp old running shoes with some runway chic!

You will need..


Not pictured

Neon yellow and green tape

Clear lacquer

Pins

Tailor's chalk



Difficulty



Pretty easy

I'd hesitate on categorising this as 100% technique-free, so in the interests of diplomatic backside-covering, I'd rate it as moderately easy. You'll be pleased to know that I can't think of anything especially taxing about this exercise.



Time

About ten hours if, like me, you like to get your measurements precise.




Trending on tweed

Take the laces out.

I find that it helps to get a mixture of bouclé wool fabrics. You don't need much, so it's worth sniffing around fabric shops for samples and minimum quantities (most shops don't cut less than half a metre but some do and asking nicely enough can earn you a respectable handful of free samples!) You need enough of one fabric to cover your trainers. I'd recommend pinning it to the side, tracing around the edges with tailor's chalk and cutting around the lines you have drawn.

Design and cut out the other panels you intend to use, ensuring they're symmetrical and the same on both shoes, so that the designs are the same on the outer sides and inner sides of both shoes.

Don't stick your tweed in place yet. Cover the desired parts of the sole with neon tape and add a coat or two of clear lacquer, for extra protection. I actually used acrylic paint and resin, but lived to regret it, as it was so messy. Going on my bad experience, I'd recommend tape as an alternative; it doesn't require painstaking effort to get straight lines.



I painted bronze borders on some of the bits of fabric. Again, if you want to add borders and detailing, just make sure they're consistent on both shoes.

Cover your trainers in fabric and then add panels. Stick them in place with craft mount.

Re-thread the laces.












1 comment:

  1. […] her street style snaps on a bicycle and gets a kick out of colourful customisation. I might have tried it before but I had to go back for one more […]

    ReplyDelete